25 Oct Bone Factoids
- The human bone is as strong as granite in supporting the weight.
- We are born with 300 bones, but only end up with 206 when we are adults because many of them join to make a single bone.
- The human hand has 27 bones; the face has 14!
- The longest bone in the body is the thigh bone, the femur — it’ s about1/4 of your height.
- The smallest is the stapes bone in the ear which can measure 1/10 of an inch.
- Did you know that humans and giraffes have the same number of bones in their necks? Giraffe neck vertebrae are just much, much longer!
- Bones are made up of calcium, phosphorus, sodium, and other minerals, as well as the protein collagen.
Bones and joint problems are inevitable with age. However, how we live is more important than how many years we live. Walking, dancing, jumping and exercise are hard without strong and healthy joints & bones.
Arthritis and osteoporosis are the conditions that adversely affect our bones and joints and cause chronic joint inflammation, weak and brittle bones. Getting a sufficient amount of calcium and vitamin D may prevent fractures and help to build healthy bones and joints.
Calcium and vitamin D are two important nutrients which help to build strong bones; calcium supports your teeth and bones structure whereas vitamin D like calcitriol helps to improve calcium absorption and thus bone growth. Minerals like magnesium and zinc play an important role in preventing bone loss. These nutrients are essential early in life and may also help on ageing.
Let us learn more about these nutrients that help maintain strong healthy bones.
Calcium and Vitamin D
- Is an essential mineral to support bone health and serves as a major therapeutic intervention to prevent and delay the incidence of osteoporosis. Many individuals do not obtain the optimum amount of calcium from diets and depend on bioavailable calcium1
- Calcium available in supplements that can be bought over the counter as Calcium citrate combined with vitamin D like calcitriol is the combination of choice for the prevention or treatment of osteoporosis.2
- Vitamin D analogue like Calcitriol help increase bone mineral density (BMD) and reduce fractures.3
- Magnesium is abundantly distributed among the body. The half of the magnesium exists in the bone. In addition, magnesium is the second most abundant intracellular cation in vertebrates and essential for maintaining the physiological function of the cells. 4
- Studies have demonstrated that magnesium deficiency is a risk factor for Magnesium deficiency causes decreased osteoblastic(bone formation) function and an increased number of osteoclasts (resorb bone). Magnesium deficiency also accelerates mineralization in bone.5
- Magnesium supplementation increases bone mineral density by suppressing bone turnover when used in the treatment of osteoporosis.5
- Zinc, an essential trace element is important for the normal development of the skeleton. It has been shown to have a stimulatory effect on the osteoblastic bone formation and an inhibitory effect on osteoclastic bone resorption, thereby increasing bone mass.6
- Zinc has a preventive effect on osteoporosis, suggesting a role in the prevention of bone loss.6
A key to strong bones and lifelong bone health
Good nutrition is important at all ages to keep the bones healthy.
Foods to strengthen the bones
|Calcium||Milk, cheese, yoghurt, canned fish, dark green leafy greens, broccoli, dried figs, seeds and nuts|
|Vitamin D||Oily fish and fish liver oil supplements, egg yolk, liver and fortified breakfast cereals, orange juice|
|Magnesium||Spinach, ladyfinger, tomatoes, bananas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, raisins, wheat bran, nuts, seeds and hummus.|
|Zinc||Beef, chickpeas, nuts|
For your own comfort, as well as an investment into your future, it is highly important to look after your bones and joints and to keep them strong.
Osteoporosis Supplement Brands in India
Most of the recommended brands by the doctor:
- Shelcal of Torrant Pharma
More known brands:
|SANDOCAL + VIT.D3||NOVARTIS|
|COECORAL D3||KOYE PHARMA|
|TRIPLE A CAL-FD||U S V|
|OSSOPAN-500||TTK HEALTHCARE LTD|
|TRICIUM XT||CORONA REMEDIES|
- Adluri RS, Zhan L, Bagchi M, Maulik N, MaulikG.Comparative effects of a novel plant-based calcium supplement with two common calcium salts on proliferation and mineralization in human osteoblast cells.Mol Cell Biochem. 2010 Jul;340(1-2):73-80. doi: 10.1007/s11010-010-0402-0. Epub 2010 Mar 7
- Quesada Gómez JM, Blanch Rubió J, DíazCuriel M, Díez Pérez A.Calcium citrate and vitamin D in the treatment of osteoporosisClin Drug Investig. 2011;31(5):285-98. doi: 10.2165/11584940-000000000-00000.
- Yoshida T, Stern PH. How vitamin D works on bone.EndocrinolMetabClin North Am. 2012 Sep;41(3):557-69. doi: 10.1016/j.ecl.2012.04.003. Epub 2012 May 22.
- Ishii A, Imanishi Y. Magnesium disorder in metabolic bone diseasesClin Calcium. 2012 Aug;22(8):1251-6. doi: CliCa120812511256.
- Aydin H, Deyneli O, Yavuz D, Gözü H, Mutlu N, Kaygusuz I, Akalin S. Short-term oral magnesium supplementation suppresses bone turnover in postmenopausal osteoporotic women.Biol Trace Elem Res. 2010 Feb;133(2):136-43. doi: 10.1007/s12011-009-8416-8. Epub 2009 Jun 2.
- Yamaguchi M. Nutritional factors and bone homeostasis: synergistic effect with zinc and genistein in osteogenesis.Mol Cell Biochem. 2012 Jul;366(1-2):201-21. doi: 10.1007/s11010-012-1298-7. Epub 2012 Apr 5.